Here's some advice on feeding your child during COVID-19.
Are there conditions to using breastmilk substitutes during this COVID-19 crisis?
Breastmilk is always the safest. However, breastmilk substitutes such as ready to use infant formula and powdered infant formula are allowed if you are too sick to breastfeed. Pre-made ready-to-use infant formula should be used when you do not have guaranteed clean water and sterilizing equipment. You can introduce full cream UHT milk can be introduced from 6 months of age.
Can I feed my child aged 6 months and above during COVID-19?
Yes, you should continue feeding their child a varied diet, giving fruits, vegetables, eggs, maize/millet/sorghum/teff, beans, fish and meat every day as well as breastmilk until 2 years. You should wash your hands and make sure children wash their hands regularly with running water and soap and stay home as much as possible. Ensure you use clean bowls, plates, utensils, and cups.
Nutrition tips during COVID-19
Why is good nutrition important during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Healthy diets and physical activity are key to good health and necessary for a long and healthy life.
What is the importance of exclusive breastfeeding?
- Breastfeeding helps to protect your baby against illness and it the ideal food to help them grow and develop.
- Breast milk provides all the food and water that your baby needs during the first 6 months of life.
- Do not give anything else, not even water, during your baby’s first 6 months.
- Even during very hot weather, breast milk will satisfy your baby’s thirst.
- Giving your baby anything else will cause him/her to suckle less and will reduce the amount of breast milk that you produce and may make your baby sick.
- You can give medicines if they are recommended by your health provider.